Monday, January 20, 2014

miscellaneous: adepticon 2014: ...and so it begins

I was one of the fools that spent the evening of November 14th scrambling through the madness of Adepticon 2014 registration. I may not have gotten every class that I wanted, but my schedule is still full of games to play and techniques to learn. And plenty of time to hang with friends old and new. It's always the best part of the con!

Now that January's here and Adepticon is (in hobbyist terms) eminent, it's time to buckle down and figure out what models/projects I need to have finished by the end of March. The events that I need something for are as follows...

  • Dreadball League in a Night
  • BootaTown: Dreadnaught Arena
  • Crystal Brush: Sci-Fi Squad?

For Dreadball League in a Night, I've decided to convert and paint up the Season 3 Teraton team I got with the Kickstarter. When the Kickstarter included a very familiar anthropomorphic rat I was stoked. When they added a race of lizards with shells, I knew what I had to do...


Ukomo Avalanchers | Coach

A couple weekends ago, I pulled one of the Teraton models out and started working on a proof of concept. This is what I came up with.


Ukomo Avalancher (left) Ninja Turtle? (right)

Not 100% what I pictured in my mind's eye, but close enough to keep trucking with the concept. This weekend I spent some time working on faces and made my first attempt at the shell.



The shell needs some work, but like the faces I think the proof of concept is enough to keep trucking forward. I've done preliminary logo work for them too, but I keep vacillating on the name. "Vintage Cartoon Ninja Teraton" and "Master Yoshi's Halfshell Heroes" are the current front-runners.

For BootaTown, I've recently re-kindled my long dormant Iron Warriors and will likely kill two birds with one stone by building and painting up an Iron Warrior Helbrute from the ForgeWorld kit I purchased a couple Adepticons ago.

For Crystal Brush I'm currently waiting on Badger to fix my compressor so that I can try some new things and test my mettle with a Necromunda Redemptionist squad. Before I even put brush to model, I know it's unlikely to win. I've seen what others can do. But I'm still gonna try to push myself with it and I look forward to getting one-on-one feedback from some of the most talented painters I've ever had the pleasure to meet.

1 comment: